Monday, April 2, 2012

Cherry Blossom Run

After a few months of serious training, I completed the Cherry Blossom 10 miler!

I was so nervous going into the run this past week. I was watching everything that I ate and drank! I still goofed on Thursday night when we went out to dinner with friends, but it turned out to be OK!

After going to bed inspired by the UK basketball game, I woke up at 5:30AM to make sure I arrived on time to the Washington Monument (staging area for the race). I rode my bike down the dark a quiet streets along the National Mall. It stopped feeling creepy when I heard the bass from the music thumping over the loud speaker- the MC was giving instructions and the race volunteers were in full swing with getting people water, bananas, letting us know where to drop our bags off, and even leading a warm up! My only complaint was that there were no bike racks! I tied up to a street sign instead.

It seemed like the race took a long time to actually begin, but when it did the ten miles went fairly quickly. I was consumed in the first half of the race with zig zagging around people because the course was congested and narrow in many areas. It did not ruin the experience however; the sites along the way were incredibly beautiful. I especially enjoyed crossing over the Memorial Bridge.

I would recommend this race to runners and non-runners. It is well organized and they have a 5K for people who are not sure about running the whole 10 miles!

What is your favorite run around the Washington, DC area? I'm looking for my next event!


No comments:

Post a Comment